Saturday 30 March 2013

Blast Through Your Obstacles


In each of us are places where we have never gone. 
Only by pressing the limits do you ever find them.

I love this phrase, I'm a little unsure who wrote it but I really feel that it illustrates what many people chose to ignore, which is that we are far more capable of achieving what we want in this world than we give ourselves credit.
Don't think of a blue elephant!

So, what or who is stopping you from having what you want?  Take a good hard look in the mirror. Who is controlling you?  Everything you do and say your entire being is controlled by your mind. 
Don't think of a blue elephant!

Your mind has two parts.
Your conscious mind - the part that tells you what to do and 
Your unconscious mind - the part that will take the action.

Any time you have anything remotely challenging to do, in order to make it work these two will have to be working together.

Have you ever been in a situation where you know what you want to do, full of excitement of achieving the end result and yet, you simply procrastinate over doing it.  You’ll do anything but,  come up with the most plausible excuses for delaying simply getting the job done.  All too often it is the negative thoughts that you hold in your head that override you simply doing it. 
  • It’s too hard
  • I can’t
  • What happens if I do that an it doesn’t work out
  • I don’t have the money, know how….
Your Mind is No Leader

The funny thing is when you tell yourself these lies, your mind is listening, ready to obey.  Yes! When you say it’s too hard – it believes you.  When  you think it might not work out,  it's listening – no problem, it will say that's less work for me.
Don't think of a blue elephant!

When you know there is something you want to challenge yourself to do differently and you’re struggling to get going, make a conscious effort to listen to what you are saying to yourself,  what questions are you thinking about.  How is what you are thinking/saying helping you or your situation? 

All too often the negative thoughts and your negative talk register as true and when directed at self will tend to expect a negative outcome for your actions. For example when you choose to say "I can't " what is the most obvious thing that is going to happen, you also stop yourself looking for ways that you can.  So how can you...?

From the beginning I have asked  you NOT to think of a blue elephant – and what have you done? Yeah, you thought of a blue elephant – am I right?

It's at this point that you may be forgiven for thinking that this is the part where I encouraging you to start using positive thought, say things like "I can," "if I believe it will happen."

NO! Having a positive attitude will always help but spouting off positive affirmations really isn't going to. If it was that simple you'd be doing it.  Your mind is struggling with believing  because change is new and there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding it. 

To shift your behaviour a better approach, in my mind, is to have a more realistihought to the challenge.  Instead of saying
  • It’s too hard – you could say  – This is difficult but I know l can work it out.
  • I can’t – could become – All things new take time to perfect, I will learn from any mistake  
  • It might not work out – could become – I’ll trust myself to make the right choice
  • I don’t have the right tools – could become – Where can I find the money, time, know how…?
Now these are just my word but you get the picture. 

You will be really amazed what you are capable of when you begin to consciously challenge yourself.  I remember one class I was teaching.  After we had worked on conscious thought I asked them to try something for me – now, I may be giving one of my secrets away here so when you come along to one of my classes you’ll have to forget this.

Anyway,  at the end of the class, I took a burning candle. As I walked to the other side of the room, away from the candle. I asked everyone to close their eyes and  focus on the burning flame.  I then asked them to consciously think of simply extinguishing the candle with their thought.

As they sat there concentrating I walked back to the candle and asked them to open their eyes.  I could see the look of disappointment on some of their faces as I blew out the candle.Whilst I was so pleased that they believed they were strong enough to blow out the candle by simply believing they could, it highlighted another point.  

The point was that no matter how much thought you put into doing something,  nothing will change unless you take some ACTION. So let me encourage you to challenge your thoughts on a regular basis and be realistic. 

The next time you are faced with any new challenge take some time to become conscious about what you are saying/thinking?  Ask yourself - How is this helping me or my situation?
Turn your negative thought into  a more realistic thought and THEN TAKE SOME ACTION.

Now, I’m not saying that this will miraculously change every situation but what it will do and this I guarantee  – it will help you to become more resourceful in finding the answers which will help you overcome that particular obstacle. The more you do this the better you will become at it till eventually, you’re so good at it you look forward to the next challenge. 

Being able to identify what is holding you back and allowing yourself to move forward will bring a greater happiness and fulfillment. Challenge yourself to feel the fear, overlook it and feel absolutely amazing.

Go ahead and BLAST through those obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment